Frequently Asked Questions

From installation tips to picking the right product, you’ll find answers to our most commonly asked questions here. Please contact us if you have a question that is not answered below - we are happy to help!


  Cabinet Barrel Hinges - Mounting
How are the barrel hinges mounted?
They are mounted just like a butt hinge, mortised into the edge of the door and the door frame.
  Cabinet Butt Hinges - Measuring
How are butt hinges measured?
The height is just of the leaf not including the finials and the width is the total open width of both leaves and the knuckle.
  Cabinet Locks - Skeleton Key Parts
What are the different parts of a skeleton key?
The bow is the ring part that you hold, the barrel is the tube in the center and the bit is the tooth like part on the end.
  Cabinet Locks - Types
What is the difference between full mortise, half mortise and non mortise cabinet locks?
Full mortise locks fit completely inside the door in a mortise pocket. Half mortise locks fit on the inside of the door in a mortise notch and the back of the lock is exposed. Non mortise locks are surface mounted to the door.
  Cabinet Pulls - Available Sizes
I don't see the size pull I need for my cabinet or furniture, do you have other sizes?
We have the ability to source product from many different manufacturers so if you don't see it give us a call or email us with specifics on the items you are looking for.
  Cabinet Pulls - On Center Measurement
What does "on center" mean? How do I know what size pull I need for my cabinets?
"On center" is the measurement from the center of one screw hole to the center of the other screw hole. If you want to use the holes already in your cabinets or drawers you need to purchase hardware with through bolts or threaded shanks with the same on center measurement that you have. Some of our hardware, particularly bin pulls, is attached with wood screws and may not work with existing holes.
  Glass Bridge Pulls - Available Lengths
Are the glass bridge handles available in other sizes?
We only have glass bridge handles available with a 3" on center measurement.
  Glass Knobs - Bolt Length
Can I get shorter bolts for the glass cabinet knobs? Do you sell the bolts separately?
We have 2 ½" and 3" brass and nickel plated bolts available for the glass cabinet knobs. If shorter bolts are desired we recommend you cut them to your desired length. We do have the bolts for sale separately in packs of 10.
  Glass Knobs & Pulls - Accuracy of Colors
Are the colors shown online of the glass cabinet knobs accurate?
We have done our best to show the colors most accurately but depending on the computer monitor and the settings the colors will vary. If you are trying to get a very specific color we recommend purchasing samples to see the colors first hand.
  Knobs & Pulls - Included Hardware
Do your cabinet knobs and pulls come with screws?
All of our cabinet hardware comes with the necessary screws for installation and they are finished to match the hardware.
  Knobs & Pulls - Sizing
What do the diameter and projection of cabinet knobs refer to?
The diameter is measured at the widest point and the projection is how far it will stick out from the cupboard or drawer.
  Offset Cabinet Hinges & Latches - Explaining Offset
What does offset mean for the cabinet hinges and latches?
Offset means that the surface of the cabinet door projects out from the cabinet frame, usually ⅜". Offset hinges and latches are surface mounted to the door and the frame of the cabinet.
  Slide Style Cabinet Latches - Operation
How do the slide style cabinet latches work?
The latch is spring loaded, so when you pull back the knob, the latch tongue is retracted allowing the door to be opened. When the knob is released it springs back to the extended position so the door can be pushed shut and latched.


  Standard Door Sets - Choosing a Function
How do I determine which function I need for my standard/tubular door set?
Most standard/tubular door sets are offered with four function options: passage (for non-locking doors), privacy (for bath and bedroom doors), double dummy (for non-latching closet and double doors) and single dummy (for non-latching doors). Read More...
  Cylinder Locks - Options
Which cylinder lock option should I choose for my entry door set?
The cylinder is the locking mechanism of an entry door set. It may be integrated with a the deadbolt of a mortise lock or mounted independently as part of a separate deadbolt. Read More...
  Door Bolts - Usage
How are door bolts used?
Door bolts are used to hold shut doors, windows, cabinets or shutters by sliding the bolt into the catch or in some cases turning a knob to extend the bolt.
  Door Knob Spindles - How to Choose
How do I know which type of spindle to buy?
If you need a threaded spindle you need to know what the threads per inch are and check to see that the spindle thickness is small enough to fit through the hub of your lock or latch.
  Door Knockers - Mounting
How are door knockers mounted?
They are mounted using bolts that go through the door and thread into the back of the door knocker to secure it to the door.
  Door Set Parts - Fitting Together Knobs and Rosettes
How do I know what door knobs will work with a particular rosette or door plate?
This is determined by measuring the inside diameter of the collar on the door plate or rosette and then measuring the outside diameter of the base or shank of the door knob or lever. The knob shank diameter should be a little less than the inside collar diameter on the rosette.
  Door Sets - Choosing Standard vs. Mortise
How do I know if I need a standard door set or a mortise lock set?
If you have new doors that are pre-drilled, you can use one of our standard door sets to get antique style hardware with an apparatus that fits your door. If you have existing hardware on your doors you will need to determine if you have mortise locks or tubular latches. A standard door set is for modern doors that use a tubular latch as opposed to a mortise lock. Refer to the definitions of mortise lock and tubular latch in the glossary.
  Door Sets - Determining the Backset
What is the "backset" and how do I know which I have?
The "backset" is the distance from the edge of your door to the center of the hole bored in your door. The most common are 2⅜" (standard) or 2¾". Measure carefully to ensure proper fit. If your door has a backset other than those listed, please contact a hardware specialist for assistance.
  Door Sets - Economy Line vs Others
What is the difference between your economy line door sets and the more expensive ones?
The economy line door sets have stamped brass or brass plated trim whereas the more expensive sets usually have heavy forged brass plates and knobs, are available in a variety of finishes and come with a high quality lock or latch.
  Door Stops - Projection
Does the projection of a door stop include the screw?
No, the projection does not include the screw and would be the total length when installed.
  Doorbells - Mounting
How are the mechanical doorbells mounted?
The turn mounts on the outside of the door and the bell mounts on the inside. A hole must be drilled through the door to allow the spindle to connect the turn with the bell.
  Economy Line Door Sets - Finishes
Can I get the economy line door sets in any other finishes besides brass?
The economy line door sets may be available in a chrome finish depending on the item. However, chrome is always more expensive than brass or brass plating. Give us a call for pricing and availability.
  Exterior Door Sets - Choosing the Right Type
Having trouble determining if you need a Standard, Mortise, or Rim Lock entry set? Choosing the right hardware for your exterior door is easy; just follow these simple steps. Read More...
  Handing for Door Sets and Hinges
How do I determine the handing for my door set or handed hinge
Stand in the frame of the door with your back to the hinges. If the door swings to your right, it is a RIGHT HAND door (choose RH /Right in the selection box). If the door swings to your left, it is a LEFT HAND door (choose LH / Left in the selection box).



  Hinges - Loose Pin vs Removable Pin
What is the difference between loose pin and removable pin hinges?
Loose pin hinges have one of the finials attached to the end of the pin which can be pulled out for ease of installation and removal of doors. Removable pin hinges have a pin that is not attached to the finial and usually needs to be tapped out of the knuckle in order to separate the two sides of the hinge.
  Interior Door Sets - Choosing the Right Type
Having trouble determining if you need a Standard, Mortise, or Rim Lock door set? Choosing the right hardware for your interior door is easy, just follow these simple steps. Read More...
  Kick Plate Sizes - Special Orders
Do your kick plates come in sizes other than those listed on your website?
We can special order kick plates in any size you need. Give us a call for pricing and lead time.
  Kick Plates - Mounting Options
Which mounting option do I choose for kick plates?
If you have a wood door you need the standard screw mount. For fiberglass doors you want to choose the adhesive mounting option. Finally, for metal doors you can use the magnetic mounting option.
  Mortise Locks - Handing Left or Right?
Do your mortise locks come in right and left handed versions?
All of our mortise locks are easily reversible for left or right handed doors.
  Pocket Door Privacy Bolt - Installation
How is the pocket door privacy bolt mounted?
On the inside of the room with the door closed the bolt is installed on the surface of the door next to the pocket. The strike is surface mounted on the jamb next to the pocket. It works like a rocker switch. Read More...
  Rim Locks - Handing
Are the rim locks reversible or are there left and right handed versions?
The rim locks are reversible unless otherwise specified so they can be used on either right or left handed doors. To reverse handing, simply remove single screw in the case and flip over the latch bolt.
  Strap Hinges - Mounting
How are strap hinges mounted?
The strap is mounted to the surface of a door and the pad may be surface mounted (full surface) or mortised into the jamb (half surface).


  Carpet Rods - Length Options
Can I order the carpet rods in lengths other than what is specified online?
We can have the rods cut to your specific length but they are no longer returnable in the event that the measurement specified is incorrect. We recommend that you cut the rods yourself so as to be sure you have the measurements right.
  Floor Registers - Size Options
Do you make custom sized floor grates?
We do not make custom sized floor grates but we are able to get some more sizes than what we show online.
  Picture Hanging Kits - Usage
How is the picture hanging kit used?
The fancy button has a hook on the back to hang on picture rail molding. There is also a loop that will hang from a nail if no molding is available. Two strands of cord hang from the button to attach picture.
  Picture Rail Hooks - Sizing
How do I know which picture rail hooks will fit my molding?
You can measure the thickness of the rounded "bulb" at the top of your molding, which will probably be between ½" and ¾". Then you match up that measurement to the molding hooks, but it can be trickier since there are other measurements that can affect how the hook hangs. It is sometimes easier to order a sample to see how it hangs on your molding.


  Bath Lights - UL Requirements
Are UL Damp rated lights required for a bathroom?
No, but in small spaces with high moisture and inadequate ventilation, they are recommended.Note: none of our reproduction fixtures should be installed directly inside of a shower enclosure.
  Compact Fluorescent Bulbs - Compatibility with Vintage Style Fixtures
Can I use compact fluorescent light bulbs in your vintage style fixtures?
Screw-in type compact fluorescent light bulbs may be used in most of our fixtures. However, the larger or longer bulb size of some CFLs may be incompatible with some glass shades.
  Glass Shades - Fitter and Shade Sizing
How are glass shades measured?
There are three important dimensions for glass shades: fitter size, height and width. The fitter is the outer diameter of the lip which is inserted into the fixture's shade holder. This will measure a little less than the fitter size so it can fit into the shade holder of the same measurement. Read More...
  Light Bulbs - Choosing the Right One
What type of bulb should I use in my light fixture?
For most of our fixtures you can use a standard incandescent bulb, a vintage-style carbon filament bulb, or a screw-in type compact fluorescent (CFL).Whatever style bulb you choose, the most important consideration is the bulb's wattage.Each fixture has a maximum wattage rating, which is listed in the Features section of the item detail page. Bulbs that exceed the maximum wattage can discolor metal finishes and shades, deteriorate electrical parts, and start fires. Damage caused by improper light bulbs is not included in our 5 year product warranty.

For an authentic period lighting effect, use our genuine Edison-style bulbs in your fixture. These carbon filament bulbs are great for exposed sockets and cast a dim, but warm, mellow light.

Please note: decorative type bulbs, like those with candle-flame shapes, are made for use in "tips up" position only. Never install pointed bulbs tips down.
  Light Fixtures - HCWO Measurement
What does the HCWO measurement on wall fixtures refer to?
HCWO (Height from Center of Wall Opening) – The measurement from the top of the fixture to the center of the outlet box / electrical mounting box when installed. Also known as the HCO (Height from Center of Outlet) or TTO (Top To Opening).

This measurement is used when installing a wall mounted fixture close to a ceiling or above a mirror. It lets you know where to place the outlet box to allow for clearance. Knowing the clearance available when redecorating or replacing worn fixtures will save you from ordering a fixture that would not fit in your situation.
  Light Fixtures - Special Handling
Do light fixtures require special handling?
Yes. While our fixtures are extremely well made, all light fixtures are inherently fragile. Therefore, please observe the following when unpacking, handling and installing your new light fixture:
  • Arms, extensions and decorative elements are not intended to support the full weight of the product.
  • To avoid breakage or other damage, always grasp the item by the base or central axis of the fixture's body.
  • Large fixtures will require two or more persons for installation.
  • Please note that due to the extent of hand-labor there will be natural variations in alignment, especially if the item has multiple extensions or decorative elements.In some cases, these can be adjusted by hand.
  • NEVER FORCE, TWIST or BEND any part of the item. Do not over tighten threaded parts.
  • Use caution with tools to avoid scratching or marring the finish.
  • All of our fixtures are inspected and tested before shipping.If, however, you have any problems please contact Customer Service department at (888) 223-2545, Monday through Friday, 10:00 am - 7:30 pm Eastern Time.
  Newel Post Lights - Usage
What is a Newel Post Light?
Newel post lights are free-standing upright fixtures commonly mounted on the large starting post at the bottom of a staircase. They came into fashion in the mid-nineteenth century and remained popular until around 1930. In larger homes, they were often used at any point the stair turned or even along a stretch of railing in the upper stair hall, to supplement wall lighting and add a dramatic accent. Newel post lights range from simple, single-light lamps to large multi-branch fixtures. In later Victorian times, newel lights were often quite sculptural, representing historical or mythological figures. Newel post lamps were found in all styles of houses, from Victorian to Mission, before eventually fading from popularity and necessity in the 1920s. In earlier periods, these free-standing gas lights were also called "Pillar Lights", and were used to light shop counters, hotel desks or other public spaces. In modern kitchens with large central islands, newel post lamps make a striking and useful form of task light.
  Push Button Switches - Compatibility
Do your push button switches fit standard electrical boxes?
Yes, only the dimmers need to have the metal flashing on their front trimmed to fit two side by side.
  Push Button Switches - Low Voltage
Can your push button switches be used with low voltage lighting?
Our push button switches are for the standard 120 volts only. Low voltage push button switches are in the works. Give us a call for details.
  Push Button Switches - UL Listing
Some of your switches are pending UL approval. When will they be UL approved?
The process of UL listing can take years to be finalized. All of our switches are produced by the same manufacturer and are of the same quality whether UL approved or not. We are confident the rest of our switches will be approved sometime in the near future since our switches have performed well now for some years.
  Switch Plates - Available Functions
Do you have switch plate configurations available other than what is shown online?
We may be able to special order other configurations depending on the finish desired. Please call for price and availability.
  Switch Plates - Forged vs Pressed Brass
What's the difference between the forged brass switch plates and the pressed?
The forged brass switch plates are thicker and heavier than the pressed and also project out farther from the wall. The forged brass switch plate covers come in a different set of finishes than the pressed brass, so the desired finish may determine what type of switch cover you will need.
  UL Certification - Definition
What does UL certified mean?
Underwriters Laboratories (UL) is a nationally recognized, independent product safety certification organization. UL is also affiliated with the Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada (CUL).

The National Electrical Code, as well as laws in the majority of states, requires that lamps and fixtures be tested by a recognized, independent safety-testing agency before they can be legally sold and installed. All fixtures sold by House of Antique Hardware are UL certified and labeled.
  UL Ratings - Dry, Damp and Wet
What is the difference between UL dry, damp and wet location ratings?
UL Dry Rating:
A fixture with a UL Dry Rating may be used in any area, usually indoors, which is not directly exposed to excessive moisture and water.Any fixture with a UL label that is not explicitly rated for wet or damp applications should be considered a UL dry location fixture.

UL Damp Rating:A fixture with a UL Damp Rating may be used in sheltered outdoor areas that are protected from direct contact with rain, snow, or excessive moisture (such as ocean spray).

UL Wet Rating: A fixture with a UL Wet Rating is suitable for outdoor locations that receive direct contact with rain, snow or excessive moisture (such as fog or ocean spray). For safety reasons, none of our reproduction fixtures should be installed directly inside of a shower enclosure.


  Faucets – Cleaning
What do I use to clean my faucet?
We recommend cleaning your faucet with a mild, non-abrasive soap. If there is calcium or lime buildup, mix one-part warm water with an equal amount of vinegar and remove with a washcloth.
  Faucet - Selection
How do I choose the right kitchen faucet?
When buying a faucet for your kitchen or bath, start by determining the type of plumbing you currently have. There are many faucet types available, so it is a good idea to consider the details before you start shopping. You want to:
  • Determine the number of mounting holes and the space between them if there is more than one hole by measuring from the center of one hole to the center of the hole next to it.
  • Measure the size of your current spout. The spout reach is typically as close to the center of the sink as possible.
  • Choose your finish.
  Faucets – Technical Installation Questions
Who should I contact for technical support or help installing my faucet?
Please contact House of Antique Hardware at 888-223-2545 to speak to a Hardware Specialist regarding general installation questions. We recommend hiring a professional plumber for the actual installation of your faucet.


  Shutter Dogs - Mounting
How are the shutter dogs mounted?
There are three types of Shutter Dogs - Post Mount, Lag Mount, or Window Sill Mount. Post Mounts are attached using multiple wood screws and are appropriate for wood or siding. Lag Mounts are attached with a single large post and are appropriate on plaster or mortar. Sill Mount are attached to the window sill using wood screws and then extend out from the sill to the shutter area.
  Shutter Fasteners - Hook and Eye
How do hook and eye shutter fasteners secure the shutters?
A hook and eye shutter fastener can be used to either hold a pair of shutters closed or to hold a single shutter open. To hold a pair of shutters closed the hook and eye is surface mounted in a horizontal manner across the joint where the two shutters meet just like the way a slide bolt is used. To hold one shutter open a hook and eye is mounted to the window sill and the inside of the shutter. The mounting plate which holds the closed end of the hook is mounted to the window sill and the eye mounting plate is mounted on the inside surface of the shutter so that when the shutter is open the hook can be put through the eye and the shutter will be secured open.
  Shutter Fasteners - Usage
How are the shutter fasteners used?
The hook mounts to the bottom back of the shutter and the catch mounts to the windowsill so when the shutter is closed the hook locks into the catch.
  Shutter Hinges - Mortise Style
How are the mortise shutter hinges used?
These hinges are used just like a butt door hinge and are mortised into the edge of the shutter and the inside edge of the window casing.
  Shutter Hinges - Strap Style
How are the shutter strap hinges mounted?
Most shutter strap hinges are flush mount, where the strap attaches to the front of the shutter so that when the shutters are closed the strap is visible. In this case the outside of the shutter panel is flush with the window casing. Read More...
  Shutter Hinges - Surface Mount Style
How are surface shutter hinges mounted?
These hinges mount to the front of the shutter and the window casing so that the shutter face is flush with the casing.


  Antique-By-Hand - What is it?
Antique-By-Hand (ABH) is an exclusive five-step finishing process developed to recreate the gentle, time-worn patina of genuine antique hardware. Unlike a machine rendered and lacquered "antique brass" finish, ABH is individually applied and left unsealed. This living antique finish has a warm, mellow tone and individuality that will age gracefully and develop highlights with use – just like the originals. Learn more about the ABH process and how to care for your ABH items
  Brass Manufacturing Methods - Forged, Extruded, Cast and Lost Wax Cast
What is the difference between forged, extruded, cast and lost wax cast brass?
These are all different methods of forming brass into a particular shape. Forged and extruded are made from a single piece of metal and are the strongest. Cast brass is made by pouring molten metal into a mold and is usually used for decorative pieces. Lost wax cast is used for very detailed decorative pieces and is made using wax molds.
  Polished vs Unlacquered Brass
What's the difference between polished brass and unlacquered brass?
Un-lacquered brass is polished brass without the surface coating to keep the brass from tarnishing.
  PVD Finish - Benefits
What is a PVD finish?
PVD stands for physical vapor deposition, a process used to create a very durable, corrosion and tarnish resistant finish. This is similar in appearance to highly polished brass. PVD finish is commonly used for bathroom fixtures and entry hardware, which are exposed to frequent moisture and/or salt air. See all our PVD items here
  Special Order Items - Help in Finding Items not on the Site
Do you have more items than what you show on your website?
There are many items that are readily available to us that we have not added to our website yet and many other products that we can order from other manufacturers. Give us a call or e-mail us with your specific hardware needs.